> Nikhil wrote:
> >  I believe all of them putting under
> /usr/gnu/{lib,bin,include} whatever
> > specific to gnu under /usr/gnu as prefix directory
>  would be better.
> >

> Do you have a reason?
>
> My reason for preferring /usr/bin unless there's a
> name conflict is
> simply this :  if users cannot readily find a
> command, they implicitly
> assume it isn't available.  There is basically no
> benefit obtained from
> "hiding" commands in strange places around the
> system; once a user
> discovers he needs /usr/wombat/bin once in his path,
> he adds it - and
> any benefit obtained from sequestering commands there
> is immediately
> obviated.
>
> Since there's no useful benefit, why put users
> through this at all?

I have to disagree.  I truely believe that the gnu tree should be installed in
it's own cubbyhole i.e. /usr/gnu/{bin, lib, libexec, man, ...}.  This way the
user can set the path select their preference (gnu commands over solaris or
visa-versa).  As for the libraries...  I think that the rule should be to build
applications with the -R linkage option so no matter what the library search
order is the application binds to the specific library known to be compatible.
Under Solaris 9, I had one heck of a time resolving the iconv discrepancies for
the gnu programs that required the gnu version of iconv, (as well as other
libraries).

It's nice to be able to know what you're selecting.  For example, I really
abhor that Linux /bin/sh is really bash.  When I ask for sh, I'd like to get
the sh I know with all it's own quirks.  If I wanted bash I would have asked
for it.

My 2 cents.

Gary