Hello Thomas,

TN> Hi all.
TN> I do have some questions concerning the move away from UFS/SVM to ZFS.
TN> Using SVM mirror quite intensivly in the past we many times broke up
TN> mirrors and mounted each submirrors UFS on seperate mountpoint or just
TN> kept one as a kind of snapshot. Has always been a nice quick and cheap
TN> backup while upgrading the OS. So here question 1:

TN> - assuming a zpool in 2 disk mirror configuration on which one or more ZFS
TN> reside would it be possible to do the same trick? I understand that we
TN> could export the pool and import on two different machines and fix the
TN> 'missing mirror part' afterwards. But is there a way to get a similar
TN> thing done on ONE machine?

Why not to use snapshots? They are persistent regarding to reboots
(which is not a case in UFS).

TN> Q2: ZFS surely allows for the mirrored setup but is there something
TN> similar to the reservation mechanism in SVM.

Not (yet).

TN> Q3: if disks holding zpools are attached to different machines, each of
TN> the machines could (ignoring the conflicts) in theory access the pools
TN> only by scanning the information residing on the disks, right? Would there
TN> be need for an 'export' or will it just work?

Should just work if it hasn't changed lately.

TN> Hope it's not to early to raise the questions but we are facing the
TN> limitations of UFS so I'm looking forward to yours answers

Keep in mind that ZFS on-disk format could possible still change from
version to version (or maybe it's frozen right now after it went
public - ???).

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]