Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 05:41 am, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > The reason why I still have objections against this idea is that
> > you may like to create a PATH that includes less binaries and thus seems to
> > me less dabgerous for administrators.
>
> This type of situation is an exception, for distribution for instance.

In former times, it was usual to (by intention) have a limited PATH
for root in order to reduce provlems by miss-typed commands and similar.

If you add all binaries to a single directory, this will no longer work.

> As a user I don't want more than one tar. I want one tar that works for me.
> And guess what? Yep, I want it named tar, not gtar, futar, star, etc...the
> command is tar and I would expect it to be in the core filesystem in most all
> cases (exceptions permitting).

As other tars just do not have enough features, I guess that you call "star"
anyway. But for scripts it is of course needed to have a conforming "tar"
in the PATH. Conforming means that the program called under the name "tar" must
not cause unexpected problems. This includes creating archives that cannot
be unpacked by a standard tar.....

This is why the GNU tar you find on Solaris 10 (1.14.90) cannot be made
available under the name "tar" at all. With newer versions, it is possible
to use special config/compile options to make GNU tar behave correctly
(modulo command line parsing problems caused by the fact that it is based on
GNU getopt()).

> The question is how we get from where we are with multiples, to a point that
> we have an open version that is the most current, being worked on, in
> Solaris/OpenSolaris? That should be the goal of the community for all
> software in Solaris/OpenSolaris. Every piece of software should have the goal
> of being worked on as a community (i.e., both Sun and non-Sun folks), but
> that's not true at this time and will need time to workout.

If you take this seriously, then ZFS could not have been allowed to be released
the way it has been, because SVN_27 introduces incompatible changes in the ACL
interface that would have to be addressed before.... note that these
incompatible changes cause problems in star.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/