On Thursday 01 December 2005 05:33 am, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> First, POSIX currently does not longer contain tar.
>
> And if you install star as /usr/bin/tar, you get 99.99% compatibility with
> Sun's tar and 100% compatibility with the latest POSIX that did include
> tar.

That's fine. wether the future version starts life as star, gtar, futar, or
tar, doesn't matter.

> If you like the features from other tar implementation from a program
> called 'tar' you will get into trouble as this is not really possible with
> a program that uses a legacy CLI from the 1970s. This is why I always call
> "star" because I like the features.

This is just one example, any program on the system could be the same.

> If you don't believe, please tell me whether you believe that a command
> line like:

Again, each program is similar. tar, in this example, needs to come up with a
single version that is in OpenSolaris and moves forward.

> If you don't depend on too extreme Sun specific extensions, you could do
> this by installing star as /usr/bin/tar. Star could even implement 100% Sun
> tar compatibility, but it becomes harder if Sun introduces unusable archive
> format extensions as e.g. done with ZFS ACL support.

The community and CAB should decide how this moves forward and how the
communtity works with Sun, as Sun does with the community.

> > In the current state, I think you would agree we have too many efforts.
> > OpenSolaris really needs to streamline these efforts together somehow, so
> > that everyone can focus on the real problems rather than the same
> > problems.
>
> I agree, but note that there was already an attempt to replace Sun tar by
> star earlier. In this case, your ideas would apply: Sun would have at least
> a need to discuss archive format extensions for usability before
> introducing them.

Again, tar is just one example of a program which already has multiple
binaries floating around and something people expect to be on the system.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering