Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 11:30, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > If you take this seriously, then ZFS could not have been allowed to be
> > released
> > the way it has been, because SVN_27 introduces incompatible changes in the
> > ACL
> > interface that would have to be addressed before.... note that these
> > incompatible changes cause problems in star.
>
> I disagree with you here and so did the ARC that this is an incompatible
> change.  It is a set of ACLS for NFSv4 and ZFS filesystems with a
> compatible change to the existing system call - ie binaries still worked
> as they did before they just can't backup the new ACLs.  This just
> wasn't possible the new ACLs have information in them that you just
> couldn't express with the old ones; plus they are what customers want
> and need and backup and archiver software will just have to change or
> become irrelevant.

If you run

        star -c -dump -acl

on a ZFS tree you should find out your self that there indeed was an
incompatible change...

well, you could call it a bug.

But why does acl(info->f_name, GETACLCNT, 0, NULL) sometimes return
an error code that is not listed in the Solaris 10 man pages
with either code or reason?

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/