On Saturday 03 December 2005 03:48 am, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Wether it's tar, gtar, star, doesn't matter. I want it to be tar.
>
> So what do you like to do?

I want one version of tar to be in Solaris/OpenSolaris, and I want anyone who
is working on it or making mods to be changing that version. I only want the
community to have to worry about one tar. tar is just an example, this holds
true with most all programs.

> Do you like to remove all but one tar from your system?
> If I had to decide on that, I would keep star....

Sure, but I want everyone to get the latest and greatest tar, in the system.
It should not be a matter of which one any of us would keep, the tar we have
should work for everyone.

> So let me repeat my question: Do you like to start a discussion where the
> questions similar to: "which tar do we keep in future?"

Yes, or better stated, how can we get to a common tar that will satisfy
everyone?

> > No goals at all. I was just pointing out that the OpenSolaris community
> > is at a terrible dissadvantage if they maintain more than one version.
> > The fragmentation will kill us.
>
> This did already happen because people decided to create a new distribution
> instead of helping with an existing one.

Yes, exactly!;-) The question is how we can get the majority of folks working
together on OpenSolaris in a way that as a community we can all help each
other rather than reinventing wheels. It's not as if everyone is creating a
new wheel, just that some are only re-using some of the spokes.

> Deciding on the best way to deal with FOSS additions to Solaris is
> something that will happen _after_ we found a way to avoid unneeded new
> distributions and a way to make cooperation happen instead.

This could be a good point you make. I don't know how to get the distributions
working more together though, so I see the future being even more
fragmentation for our community in general.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering