Stefan Teleman wrote:

On 12/21/05, Ian Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This would be a start in cleaning what appears to an outsider to be the
messy situation of conflicting version of the same application.  Then
you wouldn't have to spend your time keeping the KDE dependencies up to
date.  Freedom can also be freedom for the drudgery of maintaining thins
you require, rather than those you want to build and grow.  I know, I've
been there.

There is nothing i would like more than for all of us involved in this
to finally agree on a set of standards, and follow them. That means
*all* of us. I have asked this very exact question 6 months ago, on
this forum.

Yes I remember that well and as you say, nothing has happened in the interim.

So, how can we move forward? Any common system must include Sun Solaris packages as well, to avoid the silly situation John raised.

Defining a means of identifying packages isn't hard, an agreed file format and location should be all that is required. This can be a simple text or XML file with the name, version and location of each package. It could be appended to by a package post-install script and scanned by a pre-install script to check the system for required dependencies.

Have I over simplified the problem and solution? If not, let's take this forward.

Ian