Hey,

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 20:57 -0600, John Weekley wrote:
> Not just an outider Ian.  It is a mess.  One of the biggest problems I
> have with blastwave is that if, for example, I want to install
> blastwave's openldap package, I'm forced to install the unixodbc package
> as well and their version of OpenSSL. Why?  I don't need unixodbc for an
> LDAP server and Sun provides an OpenSSL version as part of the OS, but
> the Openldap package as provided by  Blastwave requires unixodbc and
> their version of OpenSSL. And why is freetype required?  Does it offer
> something extra?  Why does an LDAP server require a font  engine?
> Bloat, it's a problem that blastwave appears to encourage or at least
> tolerate. Disk space may be cheap, but the time that's required to
> juggle all this isn't.

That's one of the issues I have with Blastwave, through no fault of
their own really. They had a dependency on a given component that may
already be in Solaris but is either the wrong version, or contains
incompatible API - rather than fixing it at the source [1], they
provided their own package.

Going forward, we need to change this - everyone needs to have a
conscience of not taking the easy way out. We need to work as a team, as
a community and prove it to ourselves that we can get out of this mess.

I'm keen - anyone else? :)

Glynn

[1] Which is actually understandable given the huge amount of effort
    to do this in terms of time, ARC, and access to the Solaris source
    code