Hi, guys.

We are 7 months into the project now, we are entering a new year, and I think it's time start recognizing community members who are contributing and participating in OpenSolaris. If you have an opinion on this, read on ...

There's a lot going on around here. More than 10,000 people have registered on the site, thousands are talking on the mail lists and blogging, 33 communities have formed with another 25 or so user groups on top of that, and people are presenting at conferences all over the world (and we are archiving those presentations on the user group community). Also, we've been getting a steady flow of code contributions to the request-sponsor program, and we are recognizing those community members here: http://www.opensolaris.org/os/bug_reports/request_sponsor/ as well as in emails to opensolaris-discuss. That's just a first attempt at recognition, though.

So, what can we do to start recognizing more people more consistently? And what is a reasonable list of items to recognize? Code for sure, but we have other community members participating within communities/projects, running user groups, going to conferences, helping with booth duty when Sun has a big presence someplace, creating distributions, blogging, talking to reporters and analysts, answering questions on lists, taking pictures, making videos, writing docs, building mirrors, working on co-development and governance plans, etc.

What else? And how do we recognize all that?

What I'd like to do is to eventually have a system where we as a community recognize our contributors so they can build reputation over time. I don't think we've really discussed this at length since we opened. This is mentioned briefly in the governance draft, too, but we don't have to wait for a full system to be in place to start the process of recognizing people. I expect it to evolve, so why not start?

I'd love to work on this. Any thoughts?

Jim
--
Jim Grisanzio, Community Manager, OpenSolaris
http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris/