On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 10:15 -0800, UNIX admin wrote:

> While I believe Jonathan had some truly reovlutionary ideas, like open
> sourcing Solaris, this is starting to turn into "marketing insanity".

To be honest, I think you /sometimes/ have to take what Jonathan blogs
about with a pinch of salt... part of his job (and hence part of the
reason for his blog's existence) is to get people talking about Sun, and
Sun's software in particular.  And if there's one surefire way to get
the industry journalists biting your hand off for a story, it's to
mention "Solaris" and "GPL" in the same sentence :)

That's not to say that Sun isn't looking very closely at GPLv3 and where
it might be applicable to Sun's software stack-- I'm sure all the right
people are doing just that.  But personally I think it's way too early
to be getting ourselves in a fankle about it.

All totally IMHO, of course :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Java Desktop System Group