On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Derek E. Lewis wrote:
> We may also define "functional" as how many apps each desktop environment
> has.  CDE or JDS both have file managers -- dtfile and Nautilus,
> respectively; however, as everyone has said, CDE, itself, (meaning the
> apps it has, etc.) is much faster than JDS, so what gives?

It is kind of hard to compare dtfile and Nautilus.  That is one of the
main differences between the two.  In Nautilus you have things like
support for Samba, burning CD's, and an iterface similar to a popular
comercial OS.  However, that might not matter too much to most CLI people
(i.e. the typical Solaris user?).  But the tabbed terminal was enough for
me to switch.

The other big difference is that JDS is open source and probably CDE can't
be.

And on speed, the only time you'll notice a difference is on slow
hardware.

Bill
rushmores.net