On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 09:16, Darren J Moffat wrote:
> TJ Yang wrote:
> > Current name:
> >
> > Packaging, Patching, and Distribution Mgmt Community
> >
> > Proposed name:
> > Application mgnt and Distributions Community
> >
> > Shorter and general enough to cover packaing,patching and opensolaris
> > distributions.
>
> That actually means something completely different to me.

> Why not just call this "Install" if we are going for a generic
> name.

I've been wondering about this proposal for a while, and the
proposed community - certainly in terms of the original proposal
back on Jan 31st - doesn't work for me. Which is worrying,
because - being a sysadmin - the whole packaging, patching, and
installation process is important to me and something I want to
see done well.

The focus seems to be on "how to put together a distribution
using Solaris packages". While this information needs to be
available it's largely a set of existing rules that need to
be published rather than a community, and it's pretty specific
to the Solaris package tools. What about distributions that
choose to use other packaging systems? They don't seem to
fit in naturally. So how to broaden the scope to include
all distributions and their installation management schemes?

The other component of the proposal is to create a home for
the Solaris packaging tools. Yes, I want these tools, and
they need a home, but they strike me as being closer to a
project that a community.

What I think i'm muddle-headedly staggering towards is a setup
with a broader "Install" community and a narrower "Solaris
Package Software" project. Or maybe a "Distributions"
community, with an even broader scope, with the publishing of
the Solaris distribution rules and the SVR4 software tools
being projects underneath that.

--
-Peter Tribble
L.I.S., University of Hertfordshire - http://www.herts.ac.uk/