On 2/17/06, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a dual processor SPARCserver 1000 laying
> > arround that I was thinking of using as a mail and
> > XMPP server for my house.  I was originally just
> > going to run Linux as I'm more familar with it but as
> > the sun4m arch is rather strange Linux doesn't
> > support it in multiprocessor mode.  Does OpenSolaris
> > include support for it or am I going to have to run
> > an older version of Solaris?
>
> Solaris 9 ought to work, if it doesn't try 8. 7 will work for sure, and you
> will get some nice perf out of that machine too, although it's obsolete HW!
>
> a 2-4 CPU SPARCServer 1000 would make an excellent mailhub server, provided
> you can afford the electricity bill.

I have a quad CPU SparcStation 20 here that refuses to die.  It runs
Solaris 8 ( s28s_hw4wos_05a ) and it keeps my toes warm.  It also
provides testing services to the Blastwave software set.

You would be surprised to see how many downloads there are from
Solaris 8 Sparc hardware.  I wish I could track the sun4m versus sun4u
stats because I suspect there are more than a few of these out there.

However, that being said, I recently ( yesterday ) helped a telco
install a few nodes of nice shiney new Sun4u UltraSparc III gear (
V480 ) and even though the grey haired guys in the IT Directors chair
wanted Solaris 8 I pushed them real hard to run Solaris 10 Update 1.

These things just rock with Solaris 10 ..

well .. welcome to the future.

Dennis