Since I have not seen it show up. I am forwarding Frank's reply.

--- Begin Message ---
[ ... ]
> But metadb reside on non ufs slices so I am guesing the block size refer
> to sector sizes (512 bytes).
>
> Thus one metadb would be 8192 * 512 bytes = 4k?

Yes.

It's all about terminology, and there are too many things in storage
management meaning "a piece of data on your medium". Many of these
overlapping or even equivalent ...

When you talk about "blocks" in Solaris, you need to specify whether
you're talking "filesystem blocks" (which then implies you have a
block-based filesystem - not all of them are, and some use other
terms, like FAT's "cluster" for the same thing, and the blocksize
here depends on the filesystem type and/or the parameters it was
created with), or about "device blocks" (which are the unit of the
buf(9S) structure's b_lblkno field, and which is hardcoded to be
DEV_BSIZE, aka 512 Bytes).

Device blocks in Solaris, as said, are DEV_BSIZE Bytes.

The manpage to buf(9S) doesn't mention the unit for b_[l]blkno,
unfortunately since that leaves room for misinterpretation, but
the "Writing device drivers" guide does, here:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4854/6mb1o3ag0?a=view

I.e. block devices do I/O at sizes of 512 Bytes. If the underlaying
hardware does something different (which in Solaris terms is then
called "sector size") then it's the task of the driver to hide this.

Best wishes,
FrankH.