>The basic idea is to implement -z (and why not -j) options to tar, like
>gnu-tar does.
>
>I had a look at tar.c, and it seems the modifications needed are a bit more
>complicated than usual
 oss-bit-size bugs/RFE, at least to me, but that's an interesting task and I
think it'd be usefull.

My personal preference for such an implementation would be to
use "popen()" and then let all the rest be the same.

Linking the compress algorithm into tar seems overkill.

While I must admit I only use the options for unpacking in which case
no option seems to be preferred over any option:

        (if the file is any known compression algorithm, call with
        the appropriate decompression algorithm)

Casper