Yann POUPET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was looking for an oss-bit-size bug/RFE to work on, and saw this one :
>
> *tar* tar needs 'z' functionality
> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6267081
>
> The basic idea is to implement -z (and why not -j) options to tar, like
> gnu-tar does.

If you like to use a tar implementation with built in compression and
de-compression auto-detection as well as standard compliance, just switch
to 'star' ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/star/alpha/

Star also gives you many more features than Sun tar ans GNU tar alltogether.
There is e.g. True Inremental Backup/Restore support and a build in find.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)