> ... unfortunately some interviews with AMD staff
> inidcate that there
> will be quadcore CPUs from AMD available soon...

And where exactly will you get that motherboard that has 8 CPU sockets, to hit
the 32-bit CPU number?
Getting even dual socket motherboards for dual core Opterons is difficult, let
alone boards that have more sockets than that.

The only system that I know of that had 4 CPU sockets was the V40z, which, if
I'm not mistaken, isn't being made any more.

Tyan, which is about the only other manufacturer making motherboards with more
than two Opteron CPUs, as far as I know (and please correct me), does not make
a motherboard with 8 CPU sockets either.

Although, I do foresee that systems with 128+ multi core Opterons will come,
for example a 128 socket 8 core Opterons, totaling 1024 CPUs in one system. I
believe this is inevitable. However, I also believe that is still a few years
away (say five or so) before such product(s) would even be announced.

And even then, Opterons cost a LOT of money now, assuming one wants a dual core
model; I can only imagine that the cost of such a system will measure in
millions of dollars.  So, it won't even be something someone will casually need
to run and complain why the kernel doesn't support more than N CPUs.