I would have them be completely divorced from the core O/S, such that core
utilities like pkgadd/pkgrm are not dependent on 3rd party software, such as
libopenssl.so, nor libgcc_s.so.  Both /opt/sfw _and_ /usr/sfw should be
configurable to be not installed at all, if the person installing it so
desires.  If they are absolutely required (and in my estimation, there should
be no reason for them to be required), then the core O/S utilities should be
statically linked so that they do not conflict with other versions that may be
installed at a later by the user.  This gives the user the freedom of choice to
use /usr/sfw or /opt/sfw, or not.

joele54