On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 05:21, J. Estes wrote:
> > You're not forced to use them for your own software;
> > put your libraries in /usr/local/lib or /opt/xxx and link
> > with that.
> >
> > - Bart
>
> I normaly do exactly that.  But that still leaves the user with
> 481 MB of bloat in /usr/sfw , most of which is not required by
> the core O/S.  This does not include the enormous bloat of Gnome,
> either.  If OpenSSL is a requirement, the suggestion was made
> to move it to /usr/lib, which is reasonable.

That's not at all reasonable. I certainly don't want applications
or libraries that I may need to install my own versions of in
the standard system locations. Doing so only makes the possibility
of conflict more likely. Shoving things like openssl away in
/usr/sfw is nice and safe - it gives you the option of using
them (if you wish) or ignoring them completely (if you wish).

> Forcing the user
> to install /usr/sfw with mysql, ImageMagick, and a host of other
> programs, including a specific version of GCC and its libraries
> should _not_ be required as part of the core O/S installation.

It isn't. You're not forced to install much of /usr/sfw at all.
The end user install cluster, for example, doesn't install
either the compiler or ant. The minimalist clusters ditch mozilla.
Most of the space is used by packages that are entirely optional,
and you're free to do what you choose. (As is true of the rest
of the OS, of course.)

--
-Peter Tribble
L.I.S., University of Hertfordshire - http://www.herts.ac.uk/