> Ah, when I think of "cool features" I generally think
> that that means
> features I have seen working elsewhere and which
> address a problem I
> currently have under Solaris.
>
> In the case of the sound driver: there are cases
> where the driver thinks
> it's all OK but the sound is distorted; so a more
> generic "reset this
> device" function might be more appropriate.
>
> Casper

Hello Casper,

Indeed you're right; this is not a feature adressing a problem I have on my
Solaris box (actually I have no problem with my Solaris computer, I try to
imagine some problems I could have :-)
You may have noticed english is not my mother tongue, and maybe I haven't been
clear, then I'll try to explain better.

This feature by itself is not *that* cool, I was thinking about cool things
it'd permit to do.

Imagine I'm listening some music on my computer. Suddenly, sound stops working.
If this is a driver bug, and assuming I'm a end-user (not any kind of computer
engineer), there's not much I can do.

But if my window manager pops up an information window, which says :

"Hurg ! It seems your naughty sound card driver has crashed.
Do you want to try to reset it ? [YES] [NO]
Do you want to unload and reload it ? [YES] [NO]
Do you want to send a bug report to the maintainer ? [YES] [NO]
Do you want to be informed by email when it is fixed ? [YES] [NO]

[ ] don't ask again [ ] remember my choices
"

Of course, if the driver crashes every minute, this won't help much. But if it
is once a week for ex., I could live with it.

This is the kind of behavior I think could be nice.

Yann