Bill Rushmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Darren J Moffat wrote:
>

> > /usr/sadm/bin/sm* is the CLI interface to SMC.
> >
> > What can we do (other than the performance issue) to improve SMC so that
> > "hardcore CLI junkies" and "pointy clickies" would both like it ?
>
> Here are a few:
>
> 1. Don't make me re-enter the root password when I click on something once
> I already su'd into root just to run smc.  And then it keeps asking me
> when I go to a new task.  So much for SSO.

Indeed, same for the CLI interface like smdiskless.  The claimed `fix'
of storing the root password in a file is clearly a no-no.  I've long ago
filed CR 4384497 about this:

* WBEM needs alternative/pluggable authentication methods like kerberos

  cf. http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4384497

Speaking of Kerberos: what are the current plans to expose the Krb5 API in
Solaris (beyond referring to GSS-API)?  While GSS-API is fine for a couple
of applications that support it, others still need access to the `raw' Krb5
API.  Examples are the authorization related code in Cyrus IMAP, Krb5
authentication in N1 Grid Engine, or PostgresQL with its recent addition to
the the SFW consolidation.

If you want/need to use Kerberos with those, you have to maintain your own
copy of say MIT Krb5 (and rebuild postgres yourself because the
Sun-delivered packages lack the krb5 code), which is completely ridiculous,
given that the libraries are already there (although well hidden in the
krb5 GSS-API plugin); the only thing that is missing are proper library
links in /usr/lib and the public headers in /usr/include.  For a start, it
would even help to have a contracted-private SUNWkrb5int package which
delivers just that e.g. for PostgresQL use.  I'd even be willing to work on
this if there's support for the idea.

        Rainer