Juergen Keil wrote:
Or I can wait until the grub menu timeout expires.  This starts loading the
default entry.  multiboot and the boot_archive is loaded.  Text screen is
cleared, ...., and the system hangs - before printing the "SunOS Release 5.xx" copyright string.
A completely wild guess but maybe we got into multiboot's main and
got to here:

Hmm, I've already tried to search for "gateA20" code in multiboot, but havn't
found such a piece of code...

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/psm/stand/boot/i386/common/key
board.c#kb_init

These loops (called via ischar() / getchar() => kb_ischar() / kb_getchar())
look interesting and would hang on systems that don't have a ps/2
keyboard controller, so it could be a problem with the intel macs.

But would the kernel call them when it was not started with the "-a" flag?

I guess when started with "-a" the kernel would try to read various parameters
from the console.  Is there any reason to call ischar() / getchar() when
"-a" is not passed to the kernel?

If this is similiar to a different platform I worked on you might want to try removing the i8042 driver... just a wild guess.

peter