> Do we need vipw to safely edit the /etc/passwd
>  file ?

Yes, if you want sanity checks performed on the edit.

> SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands
>                 vipw(1B)
> - edit the password file

> Well, perhaps this manpage has not be touched in 14
> years because "if its
> not broke then don't fix it".  I then look for this
> thing :
>
>     $ which vipw
> no vipw in /usr/xpg4/bin /sbin /bin /usr/sbin
> /usr/bin /usr/dt/bin
>     /usr/openwin/bin /usr/ccs/bin
> e that my PATH has /usr/xpg4/bin first.  My shell is

What did it say up there on the top of the man page?

It says "SunOS/BSD",
so right there at that point in time you know that we're talking /usr/ucb/, and
that should be your 0.01ms answer at 03:00 AM in the morning when I wake you up
and ask you where `vipw` is (;-)

> I recently adopted a "style" of doing things that may
> be "Linux like" and
> thus a bad thing in the strict UNIX world.  I began
> to put my root user in a
> home directory of /root along with all of the dot
> files that get created for
> the root user.

Oh no, "et tu, Brutus"?

That is indeed a very Linux-centric way of doing things.  But honestly, why in
the world should I care if there are a bunch of root's .*rc files in /?  Why,
why, why?!?!?!?  What difference does it make?  How does it damage system's
integrity?????

People create /usr/local/ and violate the entire System V FileSystem layout
mandate, and yet we fret over whether root's files are stored in /?
Or am I the only one seeing the absurdity of /root?