> Do you realize what this could mean ?
>
> It could mean that separate filesystems could be
> abolished.  At least once
> upon a time, way way back in the Solaris 2.5.1 days I
> would regularly create
> a separate / and /var and /usr and certainly a
> separate /opt on any server
> or workstation.  These days I have made to switch to
> "big fat root" with
> /opt still separate.
>
> Perhaps ZFS will allow me to toss _everything_ into a
> ZFS hierarchy.

What the...

I haven't used separate FileSystems since PROM 1.x, where the / FS couldn't be
booted by the PROM if it had been greater than 1GB.

Look:

df -h
Filesystem             Size   Used  Available Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/md/dsk/d0          16G   7.6G       8.1G    49%    /
/devices                 0K     0K         0K     0%    /devices
ctfs                     0K     0K         0K     0%    /system/contract
proc                     0K     0K         0K     0%    /proc
mnttab                   0K     0K         0K     0%    /etc/mnttab
swap                   1.1G   648K       1.1G     1%    /etc/svc/volatile
objfs                    0K     0K         0K     0%    /system/object
fd                       0K     0K         0K     0%    /dev/fd
swap                   1.2G   175M       1.1G    14%    /tmp
swap                   1.1G    44K       1.1G     1%    /var/run

Do you see that?  That's one single FileSystem for everything, on an 18GB disk
no less.