On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Michael Lee wrote:

I think a better idea might be to create something like Blastwave but for
Solaris 10 Sparc and x86, where we can just install software into /opt/sfw
using pkg-get or something similar. It'll be far more useful than a co-bundled
product, which gets too stale to be useful over time.

I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but why reivent somehting that works very well? Why not all just get behind Blastwave? Until I started hanging out here at OpenSolaris.org I never heard of it and I really wish I did. I used to use the Companion CD or Sunfreeware but now I can't imagine why would ever want to again after using Blastwave. Sometimes having more than one of something (like distros) is a good thing, but what sense is there in having multiple "companion software" projects?

Bill
rushmores.net