Below are the diffs in a more readable format.

Apologies...

- Karyn

~~~~~~~~

------- general_faq.txt -------
6c6
<  [4]  Why is Sun open sourcing the Solaris Operating System?
---
>  [4]  Why has Sun open sourced the Solaris Operating System?
11,13c11
<  [8]  What release of the Solaris source code will be open sourced?
<  [9]  How do I participate?
<  [10] Do I need to register the OpenSolaris source code I have downloaded
---
>  [8]  Do I need to register the OpenSolaris source code I have downloaded
14a13,14
>  [9]  What version of the Solaris OS has been open sourced?
>  [10] How do I participate?
26c26
< Initially, the OpenSolaris project will include source for the core kernel,
networking, libraries and commands from the Solaris OS. Over time, we plan to
open source other parts of the Solaris OS as well.
---
> Initially, the OpenSolaris project included source for the core kernel,
> networking, libraries and commands from the Solaris OS. We have made source
> available for more parts of the Solaris OS, and will make more source
> available over time.
27a28
> Ultimately, the repositories for most of the Solaris OS will be available on
> opensolaris.org with non-Sun committers. We aren't there yet, but we will get
> there.
29,30d29
< [2] What is the difference between the OpenSolaris project and the Solaris
Operating System?
< The OpenSolaris project is not a product offering; rather, it is an open
source project complete with source code and infrastructure for collaborative
development at opensolaris.org.
32c31,32
< The Solaris OS is Sun's supported operating system offering. Future versions
of the Solaris OS will be based on technology from the OpenSolaris project.
---
> [2] What is the difference between the OpenSolaris Project and the Solaris
> Operating System?

> The OpenSolaris Project consists of three key elements: (1) the OpenSolaris
> source code, (2) the OpenSolaris developer community, and (3) a website for
> collaboration: opensolaris.org. The Solaris OS, however, is Sun's operating
> system product, and future versions of Solaris will be based on technology
> from the OpenSolaris project. Solaris is available as a free binary download,
> and Sun offers service packages and regular updates. So, Solaris is a product
> supported by a company; OpenSolaris is a development project run by an
> community of developers.

There are several related items that need to be understood:

Solaris Express: This is a binary release for customers. It's Sun's official
release of the OpenSolaris bits as well as additional technology that has not
been released into the OpenSolaris source base. Sun offers limited support for
this release. It's primarily intended for Solaris customers to try out the very
latest technology that will eventually be productized by Sun. Solaris Express
is updated monthly and is available as a free binary download.

Solaris Express Community Release: This is a binary release for developers.
It's Sun's latest, unsupported release of the OpenSolaris bits as well as
additional technology that has not been released into the OpenSolaris source
base. Developers can build the OpenSolaris source by using this release as the
base system. The release also has a code name -- Nevada -- and it's updated
every two weeks.

OpenSolaris: This is the source base for Solaris development. Currently, it
consists of Sun's ON (OS/Net) consolidation, Java Desktop System consolidation,
Network Storage consolidation, the Application Server consolidation and parts
of the Developer Products consolidation. (For a schedule of upcoming technology
releases, see the OpenSolaris Roadmap.) At present, the OpenSolaris source base
is not enough to bootstrap an entire system, so developers start by downloading
the Solaris Express Community Edition and installing the OpenSolaris bits on
top. The process is similar to downloading the Fedora Core, and then on top of
that downloading the latest Linux kernel and installing it on top. Other
OpenSolaris-based distributions are available, such as Schillix, Nexenta, and
Belenix. Please refer to their release notes about the suitability of using
them as platforms to build the OpenSolaris source.

In Summary: Customers concerned about stability should use Solaris 10 since
that's the company's officially-supported enterprise product. Customers
interested in trying out the latest Solaris technologies within an official
binary distribution are free to use Solaris Express. Developers working in the
OpenSolaris community should use Solaris Express Community Release as the base
on which to build the OpenSolaris source.

34,36d33
< In addition, while you can purchase support services for the Solaris
Operating System from Sun, you cannot currently purchase support for the
OpenSolaris technology. Community support for the OpenSolaris technology is
available on the mailing lists at opensolaris.org, however.
<
<
38c35
< Initially, the OpenSolaris project includes source for the Solaris OS core
kernel, networking support, libraries and commands. This set of source is often
referred to as the OS/Networking consolidation (O/N).
---
> Initially, the OpenSolaris project included source for the Solaris OS core
> kernel, networking support, libraries and commands. This set of source is
> often referred to as the OS/Networking consolidation (O/N). Since the launch,
> source from additional consolidations have been released, and the goal is to
> make as much of the Solaris OS source available as legally possible.
40,41d36
< The goal of the OpenSolaris project is to make as much of the Solaris OS
source available as possible.
<
45c40
< [4] Why is Sun open sourcing the Solaris Operating System?
---
> [4] Why has Sun open sourced the Solaris Operating System?
70c65
< The majority of the OpenSolaris source code is released under the Common
Development and Distribution License (CDDL) Version 1.0 -- an Open Source
Initiative (OSI)-approved open source license. The OpenSolaris project also
includes a number of components based on existing open source projects, which
will continue to be available under their current licenses (e.g., Perl is
licensed under The Artistic License).
---
> OpenSolaris community contributions and Sun written/owned code is released
> under the [Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL) Version
> 1.0](http://www.opensolaris.org/os/licensing/opensolaris_license/) -- an Open
> Source Initiative (OSI)-approved open source license. The OpenSolaris project
> also includes a number of existing open source project components, which are
> released under their current licenses (e.g., Perl is licensed under The Perl
> Artistic License).
72c67
< Please refer to the Licensing Page for more details about the licenses
associated with the OpenSolaris project, see the CDDL FAQ for more information
about the CDDL, and visit the OSI website for information about other open
source licenses.
---
> Please refer to the [Licensing
> Page](http://www.opensolaris.org/os/licensing/) for more details about the
> licenses associated with the OpenSolaris project, see the [CDDL
> FAQ](http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/licensing_faq/) for more
> information about the CDDL, and visit the [OSI
> website](http://www.opensource.org/) for information about other open source
> licenses.
79,80c74,75
< [8] What release of the Solaris source code will be open sourced?
< We are opening the latest snapshot of the Solaris Operating System that is
under development. At the OpenSolaris launch, this corresponds to Solaris 10 as
well as six additional months worth of improvements and engineering. As new
features are developed, they will be included in the OpenSolaris project, too.
At this time, we have no plans to open source the code for previous versions of
the Solaris OS such as Solaris 8 or Solaris 9.
---
> [8] Do I need to register to use the OpenSolaris source code I have
> downloaded from the site?
> No. Registration is not required to download the source code.
83,84c78,79
< [9] How do I participate?
< The best place to start is with a Communities Portal where you can find
information about OpenSolaris technologies, discussion groups, downloads,
source code, and more.
---
> [9] What version of the Solaris OS has been open sourced?
> Open sourced components are snapshots of the latest Solaris OS release under
> development. The latest development release roughly corresponds to Solaris 10
> plus development work that has been completed since the release of the
> Solaris 10 -- including innovations such as ZFS. At this time, we have no
> plans to open source the code for previous versions of the Solaris OS such as
> Solaris 8 or Solaris 9.
87,88c82,83
< [10] Do I need to register to use the OpenSolaris source code I have
downloaded from the site?
< No. There is no registration. There is no click-to-accept license. Enjoy!
---
> [10] How do I participate?
> The best place to start is with a [Communities
> Portal](http://www.opensolaris.org/os/communities/) where you can find
> information about OpenSolaris technologies, discussion groups, downloads,
> source code, and more.
89a85
> You can also find information about participating in the community in the
> [Getting Started
> FAQ](http://www.opensolaris.org/os/about/faq/getting_started_developers/).
90a87

92c89
< No. The Solaris source code has been available on a controlled basis for many
years and this has enhanced the security features of the Solaris OS. Open
source software is well-known for its advantages when it comes to security.
Security is all about getting the details right, and so having thousands of
people examining the source code dramatically reduces the chance that an
important bug remains undiscovered and ensures the fastest possible resolution.
---
> No. The Solaris source code has been available on a controlled basis for many
> years and this has enhanced the security features of the Solaris OS. Open
> source software is well-known for its advantages when it comes to security.
> Security is all about getting the details right, so having thousands of
> people examining the source code dramatically reduces the chance that an
> important bug remains undiscovered and ensures the fastest possible
> resolution.
102c99
< We understand that the test matrix that many of our ISV partners manage is
daunting, and we will not be increasing their workload by asking them to
certify to the OpenSolaris code base. We anticipate that unless an ISV
partner's solution requires customization of the operating system, ISVs will
continue to certify to the Solaris OS, which offers regular release cycles,
stringent quality control and Sun support.
---