> > > Reading from the HDD is killing GUI performance on
> > the iMac, it seems...
> > >

> > There's an (supposedly dangerously) hacked ata
> >  driver floating around
> > hat makes this work OK. Please contact me off-line if
> > you'd like a
> > copy of it. The bug that covers this is:
> >
> > 5031379 Toshiba MK6021GAS falls back to pio on HP
>

>  Your offering Juergen Keil a dangerous closed driver on an open solaris list.
> Now what's wrong with this picture?

 The ata driver in question is open:

http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/uts/intel/io/dktp/controller/ata/

 The source to the hacked driver however is another story. The
developer who implemented it left the company (Sun) before putting it
back. So it's not closed-source as much as it's lost-source.

 Also, the offer is open to anyone willing to risk their data to such
a driver. The consequences of getting the arbitration on the single
DMA buffer wrong aren't potential, but guaranteed massive
unrecoverable data-corruption.

 So, do you want a copy? Keep in mind that YMMV.

-jan