Eric Lowe wrote:
> In my mind at least, LKML is a good model, but it's hard to explain how
> such a list works if you haven't been on it and participated for any
> length of time. Such a forum bridges the gaps between the various
> projects which are peppered all over the place. It keeps everyone in the
> loop on what's going on with the overall system from a technical
> standpoint. It's a good a place for folks just starting out to figure
> out what technologies they might want to participate in without having
> to subscribe to a squillion community lists. And it's a good place for
> generalists who are interested in everything to keep up with what's
> going on. Such a list is mostly self-moderating; when someone posts
> something off-topic, someone on the list deals with the post by asking
> the poster to please post in a more appropriate forum. Threads that
> wander off-topic are moved to other lists as appropriate, and there is
> plenty of cross-posting. Since the discussion is kept technical and
> interesting (no "why doesn't Solaris install on my 386-16MHz machine
> with 2MB of RAM posts) folks with a high level of impatience for such
> noise are still willing to sign up.

I agree. This is what I'm after. I've followed the LKML on and off for
the last few years and followed the FreeBSD, NetBSD and DragonFlyBSD's
as well.

I'm interested in following the general architectural direction for
Solaris/OpenSolaris and want to see/participate in design level
discussions if at all possible. By having this in a common place it's
much easier for me to fill in the blanks for my lack of familiarity with
Solaris rather than trying to figure out which of a myriad of
communities/mailing lists I should participate in.

peter