On 4/18/06, Menno Lageman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Holger Berger wrote:

> I think one part of this jigsaw is the disk bottleneck. If you build
> ON on a tmpfs volume you should have a far better CPU utilisation on
> Niagara.

Nothing beats real data, so I ran a nightly on a tmpfs file system with
max jobs = 32. The build time decreases from 1:53 (on UFS) to 1:45. It
helps, but only slightly (as expected).

I tried it myself - with different results:
Built time with UFS is 1:42h and decreases to 1:08h with tmpfs (swap
device is on a different spindle and the T2000 has the memory maxed
out).

Holger