Holger Berger wrote:
> What does that mean for "ON" - will the main OS/Net repository on
> opensolaris.org be based on Subversion or on Mercurial ?

Mercurial.

I think this choice is very very bad. Almost no utility software
supports Mercurial which will not be very attractive to developers.
You've chosen a niece product which nearly zero support (excluding the
Mercurial developers themselves) in the open source community - which
may be a factor which was not taken into account in the original
evaluation.

So if it supports all the functionality we need better than any other product it is still a bad choice ? How so ?

Maybe the fact that there is no utility software is an indication that the product is sufficiently complete that none is needed. For example Teamware needs ws(1) and wx(1) utility software to be useful for ON development on a large scale but you can cope without them.

Also I'm sure I heard somewhere else that there was a pretty darn large other open source project also moving to Mercurial, can't remember which one.

--
Darren J Moffat