Chris Ricker wrote:

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Ignacio Marambio Catán wrote:

I belive this comment is about the following

"As an example, when Red Hat released the sources to their Enterprise
Server, but didn't provide any of the Makefiles or configure scripts to
create them. Of course there is nothing in the GPL to keep folks from
holding back the Makefiles and configure scripts to create them. That
was something that was not "true to the spirit"."

Of course, that statement is just wrong

See, for example, <ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS>

I don't know what they do today, but in the past I've had one hell
of a time trying to build a Linux kernel using rpm's provided by
RedHat.  They provided the source, along with patches, but what
was provided was definately not meant to make your life easy in
trying to build a kernel+modules that were identical to those
provided in binary form.

This wasn't even for the Enterprise Server, this was just RH 9.0
or something basic like that, so I could well believe they do it
with others.

And as Marambio said, whilst they released the source + patches,
what they did definately wasn't in the spirit of open source.

Let me know when you've downloaded a Linux distro, like SuSE or
RH and managed to compile an identical kernel to the binary images
they provide.

Darren