Matty wrote:

I don't want to expand upon the issues I face with Solaris 10 (01/06),
considering the nastiness I received on the yahoo mailing list; lets
just say that compared to even Windows XP, the experience as a
workstation 'user' has been less than desirable - any attempt my me in
the past to raise these issues has result in a backlash which has ranged
from abuse, cheap remarks or the deafening sound of silence.

I tend to agree with this as well. I have brought numerous issues up over the years with engineers, Sun sales, and have always been met with the look of death for not accepting Solaris "AS IS." No product is perfect, and as I outlined here:

http://daemons.net/~matty/blog/?p=413

Solaris has a ways to go to capture a larger install base (this is my opinion, so please no flames). I think the opensolaris movement is awesome, and I truly hope Sun will listen to their constituent when they bring up *good* ideas.

You have some good points in your blog entry, and all I can say is we're trying to address many of them.

With respect to the points around software management, I'll point out that we've published our draft Installation strategy[1] for input, and there'll be more coming around patch management. The Installation and Packaging community is pretty new and more of the code needs to be opened, but we're really trying to do the right thing and there's potential to contribute right now. Come join in, if you can. I think you'll find us very receptive to good ideas.

Dave

[1] http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/install/announcements/#2006-03-23_solaris_installation_strategy_review