Darren J Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Holger Berger wrote:
> > For which specific application was the XATTR API designed for? JDS?
>
> If I remember my history correctly a large part of the driver for this
> was a previous project at Sun that was attempting to do CIFS support -
> more than that I can't say partly due to poor memory on my part and
> partly due to what I do remember possibly being encumbered and thus not
> appropriate for this alias.

The Sun implemention appeared 2 months after there was a XATTR related
discussion on the POSIX mailing list.

The Sun XATTR implementation solves all problems shown by the Microsoft members
of the OpenGroup board without suffering from the problems that did show up
with the proposal than came from Microsoft.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)