On Tuesday 09 May 2006 00:59, Robert Thurlow wrote:
> Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:
> > Being that SUN has a comprehensive agreement with Microsoft, and CIFS
> > IIRC is an openstandard,
>
> CIFS?  An open standard?  No way.  Microsoft has never managed to
> publish anything complete enough for independent implementation,
> and has always felt free to change the implementation in Windows
> without bothering to tell anyone else.  Part of the problem has
> been that there hadn't been any kind of spec within Microsoft for
> years, other than the code.  Recent attempts to get a complete
> specification (e.g. SNIA) have been driven by other vendors, not
> Microsoft.  For an open standard, I'd want a body to be able to
> recommend changes that Microsoft would actually implement, and
> that's never happened.

Ah, I must be confusing myself between an openstandard and a RFC - oh well.

Worse case scenario, SUN creates a java based NFS client/server for Windows
users - as for the good old business case, "why not" :-)

>  > there is nothing stopping SUN from implementing a kosher
>  > CDDL compatible version of SMB/CIFS.
>
> This part is true :-)

And hopefully once the SES/JES is opensourced, there will be heavy integration
between the SUN Directory server and thus, lets call it SUN CIFS.

Matty