On Sunday 07 May 2006 08:01 pm, Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:
> Being that SUN has a comprehensive agreement with Microsoft, and CIFS IIRC
> is an openstandard, there is nothing stopping SUN from implementing a
> kosher CDDL compatible version of SMB/CIFS.

First of all, I don't know how comprehensive of an agreement that Sun has,
maybe you can enlighten me to that, you seem to know quite a bit about that.

AFAIK, CIFS is not an open standard by any means, isn't that why SAMBA reverse
engineered it to begin with? Maybe it is open now, I don't know, but I
wouldn't assume that Sun has access to that information. They may, and they
may not, I do now know and I would doubt that anyone outside of Sun would
know about the agreements Sun has with ms, but please enlighten me.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering