I've got a Compaq V5094EA and have run in to this as well, the "set
npe:pcie_error_disable_flag = 1" in /etc/system gets the display working okay,
but there is something else going on here.  Again after typing the manual work
around in, everything is okay.  I think there's some initialization that isn't
going quite right.  If you edit the grub boot flags and add the -a flag to the
kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst i.e:-
kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot -a
and accept the defaults for modules directory and /etc/system file by hitting
return a couple of times the keyboard and mouse work fine afterwards.

Does Nexenta alpha 4 get you to type something in nice and early during the
boot?

Cheers,
Alan