You might think that Linux shines in that area. Obviously you've never dealt
with platform provisioning and engineering in any structured matter to know
what's all involved.  Had you ever designed and built a JumpStart
infrastructure that automatically installs and configures thousands of systems
in parallel, you would be painfully aware of how sorely Linux is lacking in
this area.

Redhat's answer to jumpstart is called kickstart, it generally works,
the problems is that if you want to install redhat using kickstart you
need the either the redhat cds or some custom created media to boot
from, even if it's only to make the kickstart file available.
A few days ago i had to use it with a floppy, the redhat media and the
actual packages in an nfs server in the network, i had redhat
installed in under 6 minutes.
I've only read about jumpstart so i cannot comment on it's speed

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-kickstart2.html

And patches? Why, Linux software subsystems only support "patches" as a quasi-notion afterthought.
If you want to "patch" something in Linux, be prepared to have entire software stacks replaced
while RPM goes and "patches" the system in one fell swoop.  THEN you'll rightly know what a mess
looks like, and what it's like when 11,000 PCs bust and break.

I wont argue there, i hate rpms and had a lot of problems with them in
my early linux days,  eventually i stopped using them when i switched
to slackware. I dont know if they have improved though, i do know that
if you want a linux with more or less serious support you're stuck
with either redhat or suse and both use rpms

Like I said, you'd have to be invloved with actually engineering large systems
and networks to really appreciate Solaris and to know just how shoddy Linux is
in this respect.  It's a desktop toy with pretty icons.

i've seen it used in things that are a bit bigger then "a desktop with
pretty icons" and underestimating linux is one big mistake, aparently
sun has learnt it's lesson.

nacho