> Which important piece of IBM software was
> opensourced?

No major IBM's SW had been open sourced, as far as I know. Last I checked, AIX
5L was still a closed product that cost money, on top of the expensive IBM
Power CPU based hardware.

I wanted to get the lowest cost 1U Power based server to play with AIX at home,
but was simply aghast with the prices of the HW and the fact that AIX is more
or less only available through a salesman. ERROR.

Here is the IBM's AIX download page:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/views/aix/downloads.jsp

Now, does anybody here see AIX for download anywhere on that page?

I also love how they give you the GCC compiler "free of charge" -- oh how
generous of IBM to give away someone else's product for free, while their
compilers are nowhere to be seen as a free download. Thanks IBM, you just bring
out the best in all of us. I don't know why we didn't just all go to IBM in
droves (I'm being sarcastic again.)