>No major IBM's SW had been open sourced, as far as I know.

Exactly. IBM has done nothing to open source their software stack: z/OS, AIX,
DB2, Websphere.
I think they are not even looking to do that... since it is very complicated,
time consuming - much easier: confuse the world with Linux, sign the deal and
then turn to mainframe business :)

Some years ago I was looking to buy AIX to experiment. The price they asked for
the computer and software was too high for my wallet so I tried to contact them
to get some help... This was only for my personal use... It was like mission
impossible 1000. IBM Finland has never returned any calls nor emails,
nothing... Simple a very big waste of my time.

So there is a very big question mark what means for these companies Linux vs
their own software stack... From my point of view: same old story goes over and
over again: HP, IBM, Novell they all are loving Linux to make room for their
own obsolete products.

Does IBM, HP or Novell now run their internal business on Linux... ? What about
all their web services ? Im not sure about that...

stefan