Nicolas Williams wrote:

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:58:27PM -0400, James Carlson wrote:
It depends on whether there is in fact a solid problem out there that
this solves.  I'm unconvinced on that.  Giving message integrity to
syslog seems a bit wobbly to me, but I guess I can see why someone
might want that.  Providing structure, though, just makes no sense.
Given the effort required to make usable MIBs, I expect that the
effort required to produce usable (i.e., programmatic and stable) log
extensions to duplicate that level of effort.

Failing to produce those sorts of schema leaves you with just a
handful of code numbers plus free-form text wrapped prettily in XML.

Each message could reference the schema/dtd that it conforms to...

And existing MIBs could be re-used, perhaps.

For the record, I've not read these I-Ds...
Worth a read.  They're not all that long, if you can wade through XML
and BEEP.

Ew, BEEP.  Only RFC3195 (Reliable Delivery for syslog) mentions XML or
BEEP.  The SYSLOG WG I-Ds make no mention of XML, much less BEEP.

I should add that this project is not proposing to add either
RFC3195 support or the other work in progress on reliable
transport for syslog, only the TLS/TCP mapping.

Darren