Erast Benson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 11:53 +1200, Glynn Foster wrote:
Rich Teer wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Stephen Harpster wrote:

Hey, Google engineers, any chance of getting
ported to OpenSolaris?
Hear, hear!

Or, how about a Java version?  Write once, run anywhere, and all that jazz...
And here's me thinking 'Wish they ported to a decent toolkit...', though my hope was just using GTK+ instead of QT [1]. QT isn't installed by default on Solaris either.

I think Google folks did a nice job on Google Earth for GNU/Linux. Their
applications does not depends on any sort of distribution's permutations
and installs all needed libraries in a single user home directory called
"google-earth". They do not use any system package and install it as a
pure add-on application, self-contained and self-sufficient. That means
it doesn't really matter whether QT is pre-installed or not. Their
installer looks really simple, slick, fast starting and without any
internal system packaging dependencies.

I think we are seeing real example on how closed-sourced add-on GUI
application for UNIX/Linux should look like to be successful. IMHO

Or how heavily broken GTK+ and QT and everything else they rely on is, because they feel the neext to install their own set of libraries. Not a particularly confident message from Google really.

Glynn