On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 11:15 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Erast Benson wrote:
> > Besides, do you really care about of 5-6MB extra memory these days?
>
> My overpowered machines don't, but I know a lot of people working on
> the One-Laptop-Per-Child project who really really do, and they might
> like to see Google Earth as a teaching tool for those machines.

I don't think you will save a lot on dynamic linking for GUI toolkits
for Google Earth. I bet that code segment used is less than 25% and such
an app usually allocated x20 more memory for its data structures which
are mostly bitmap contents and who knows what else. So, all you can save
is 2MB of RAM at most, while application requires much more memory to
run. On my linux box I'm seeing that it uses 246MB total, 56MB RSS and
25MB shared.

Erast