On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 17:45 -0700, Philip Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 04:00:28PM -0700, Erast Benson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 23:46 +0100, Peter Tribble wrote:
> > >  - can I request a specific version?
> >
> > yes
>
> Thats not exactly true. Only if the archive happens to keep old versions,
> or if its a "gcc3" vs "gcc4" thing, where people are explicitly packaging
> up multiple versions as "current" versions/variants of the software.

nope. it is true. apt-get will ask user to specify particular version
if will encounter > 1 version of the same package.

it also can do intelligent job on combining multiple repositories during
single upgrade session, so > 1 APT repository seen as a whole.

> > >  - can I control the installed location?
> >
> > yes, via apt-build or in zones, oops you need Nexenta then :-)
>
> What's a 'zone'? you mean like solaris zone? if so, sounds like "no" to me.

sure why not, but apt-build is a better "Gentoo-way". :-)

> apt-build sounds like, "no, you have to rebuild the package and customize
> it"

transparent for user though.

> > >  - can I install multiple copies of the same version in different
> > > locations?
> >
> > yes, via apt-build
>
> "no, you have to rebuild the package and customize it"

> > >  - can I install multiple versions?
> >
> > sure
>
> "if they are packaged up to install to separate non-conflicting locations
>  already"?

multiple versions of the same package sounds like a crazy idea to me. It
is practically not used. But as I outlined above, it is possible with
APT.

Me as a user, do not like to have multiple instances of system software
unless major versions which offer different feature set, i.e. gcc-3.4
gcc-4.0, etc But if multiple versions of gcc are installed I prefer to
have a way to configure defaults, and then I tend to use Debian
alternatives methods.

If you are talking about add-on software, than it is totally up to
packager, and I don't see why he can not provide multiple versions of
the same software installed in different locations other than /usr/bin.

Erast