Yes I understand .. I never said it would be easy :)

Since it looks like gnusolaris has all the bells and whistles which are
missing from JDS... Ubuntu on Solaris...

Would it not make sense to leverage all the Ubuntu work by reusing it
and then add the bits on top of it that are missing from JDS. The JDS
team could then focus on these bits and more instead of all the basics
which are covered in gnusolaris.

But then JDS would not be distro independent anymore.

This would imply switching to debian packages ... humm gets more
complicated by the second.

Never mind, forget I suggested it...

I would love to just switch over to Solaris as my OS... but so many of
the features which I am used to in linux, which seem to be popping up in
gnusolaris, are missing from JDS.

sorry for ever bringing it up...

I just wanted to listen to a CD....

Peter