>The issue of backwards compatibility is already addressed very well in
>ksh93 itself. Most of the opensolaris distributions - excluding
>Solaris itself - are shipping ksh93 as /bin/ksh or are going to ship
>it. The ksh integration tree contains a master built switch
>specifically for that purpose:
>http://polaris.blastwave.org/browser/on/branches/ksh93/gisburn/prototype002/m1_ast_ast_imported/usr/src/cmd/ksh/Makefile.ksh93switch?rev=277

The issue of backwards compatibility is not "addressed very well";
the number of incompatibilities between ksh88 and ksh93 is large
and there is no way to make many of them disappear.

The question is more how much this will hurt.

>>    While I am certainly not _fully_ aware of all the issues I can say
>> with some degree of certainty that wide sweeping slurs will get you
>> personally no where.  Trust me, I ought to know!
>
>Yeah. But I am NOT alone with the feeling that something is going
>wrong. Why does this project  need more than half a year to get some
>sources moved into the Solaris tree? This is a task which should be
>finished within weeks and NOT years.

It's much more difficult than that because of AST integration and
other stuff changed in /lib (such as usurping libcmd) as well as
some continuous fine tuning of ksh93 itself.

Casper