Hello Stefan,

ST> [ offlist ]

ST> On 7/27/06, Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Mmmm.  Perhaps I was overly assertive, although I stick to the principle.
>> 'Course, the ensuing discussion about ksh88 not being able to be open
>> sourced doesn't help the debate.

ST> you weren't being "overly assertive".

ST> this backwards compatibility for backwards compatibility's sake is no
ST> longer a selling point. Linux has proven that backwards compatibility
ST> for its own sake is largely irrelevant (my personal unhappiness about
ST> this incompatibility, grounded in purely philosophical rather than
ST> practical considerations notwithstanding).

We do lot of app development on Linux and Solaris.
And due to lack of backward compatibility in case of Linux
it takes us much more time to upgrade Linux distros and get our
applications running while on Solaris upgrading or running every
possible nevada with the same binaries just work.
With Solaris generally we produce only one binary package for
a given application and then use with older Solaris releases.
With Linux we have to provide different binary package for every
distro release version we use. And it takes more and more time spent
on upgrading Linux distros.

In that area Solaris saves a lot of time comparing to Linux.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]