> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Robert Milkowski wrote:
>
> > In that area Solaris saves a lot of time comparing to Linux.
>
> And therefore, presumably, saves money too.
>
> --
> Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member
>
> President,
> Rite Online Inc.

Definitely.

Unfortunately will most UNIX-clone users never realize that.
And even if: Would they ever admit it?

I didn't use Linux very often in my life (as you know).
But when I tried it, I instantly had to understand what you mean:

LoadableKernelModules's versus incompatible kernel revisions.
(i.e. VMware)
Binaries versus incompatible glibc revisions.
(i.e. AcrobatReader)
Even sources requiring a glibc higher than x.xx in some cases.
(i.e. Qemu)
I only talked about a single distro with a release progress of 0.8 (two years)
so far.
All the (often incompatible) distributions give it the rest.

That's enough.
I don't need to provide examples for how different backward compatibility
looks on Solaris 2.11 down to things originally compiled on/linked against at
least 2.6 (if not 2.3 [or in certain cases still older]).
Source backward compatibility is also amazing (I had to deal with a tetris
version from 1989 last week).
Okay - a few kernel interfaces did disappear (and compiles like 1993's aperture
driver will break). But SUNW has certainly the best documentation. Covering
those changes carefully.

--
Martin