On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Tim Foster wrote:
It strikes me that the delivery of software, and the location it's
expected to be found on across distributions is like herding cats. Even on
Solaris, it's been hard enough to standardise (cf. /usr/ucb /usr/xpg4,
/usr/xpg6, /usr/sfw/, /usr/gnu, etc.)
If you could reduce the problem down to a set of configuration files, then
where each distro puts the various different versions of the software
isn't a problem...

Tim,

I'm not sure I agree completely with the way you've scoped
the problem. Reason being, the new rule (pending ARC
approval) is basically that all GNU/FOSS stuff goes in
/usr/bin. (Which admitedly, is totally non-intuitive -- one
would logically assume that a proposal called /usr/gnu was
about creating a place for GNU stuff to live.) In reality, the
/usr/gnu location is to be used only in the case of a name
collision -- in other words, as little as possible.

Eric