On 10 Aug 2006, at 23:36, John Martinez wrote:

On Aug 10, 2006, at 5:02 AM, Calum Benson wrote:

However, 'web based' and 'GUI' in the same sentence make most usability people cry :)

Agreed. I wish Sun and others would take more usability clues from Apple and the like. Copying Windows (JDS) is not my idea of "usability."

FWIW, this is partly down to "minimize retraining" being overwhelmingly the largest customer requirement our marketing folks got when they originally asked potential JDS customers what they would need from a Solaris or Linux desktop to encourage them to switch from Windows.

Now, you could certainly argue that Minimize Retraining != Copy Windows, necessarily, especially as many of the end users we were targeting at the time just tended to run the same application on a locked-down desktop all day every day. And for the rest, you could also argue that a more-usable-but-different desktop would satisfy that criterion too, as there would be some retraining, but it would be certainly be 'minimal' due to the new desktop's inherent consistency and learnability, and the investment would soon be outweighed by the productivity benefits.

But there you go... some of the more unnecessary Windows-alike behaviour has already been removed from JDS for nevada, and I'm sure more will go if we remain more techie/developer-focused for a while. Ultimately we're also somewhat limited by the direction GNOME itself takes, of course; we do have some influence there, but certainly not enough to radically change anything overnight.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Java Desktop System Team