 < hack slash burn snip >

> Maybe IBM is right and Opensolaris is just a big FAKE project and
> contributions by external persons are only taken if they please Sun

 Man, I don't know what to say really.  On the one hand IBM tosses out
some things about how the OpenSolaris project is all behind the firewall
over at Sun.  Anyone can look at the site and see that "Our lawyer is
making us say that OpenSolaris is a trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc."
Anyone with half a wit can read that.  Its a registered trademark of the
big ol'profit seeking Sun and its shareholder and board of directors etc
etc.  Golly gee wiz wow.  Who would have figured that a Silicon Valley
giant could create a site and stick a trademark on it and then have the
total intestinal fortitude to open source their crown jewel operating
system along with the process that builds it!  Yeah, anyone looking at
that would surely think "damn Sun! look! look! they control everything!"

I have no patience this morning.  I have been awake all night long working
with guys half way around the planet to get a new OpenSolaris based distro
up and running on an dual CPU AMD64 box that is a hunk of junk.  I spilled
my coffee and I'm in a basement piled with junk and computer parts. Martin
Bochnig is in Germany with piles of computers all around him in a tiny
little apartment and James Dickens is in Milwaukee and walked and talked
and chatted for ten hours or more to get this thing up and running. None
of us work for Sun.  Heck, none of us are really "working" bu anyones
corporate definition of the term.  But we sure as hell got this going
last night :

    http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/marTux_000.jpg

    http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/marTux_001.jpg

    http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/marTux_002.jpg

I went out and bought a banged up old no name special.  It boots and runs
the latest marTux pre-release and there is a edition for UltraSparc and
its not exactly a stretch to think that a PowerPC edition can be up and
running also.  We were not paid by anybody and we don't work for Sun but
we are all members of the OpenSolaris project and the source code comes
from there.  At least all the bits that are open but Martin had to hand
craft an AMD64-bit version of the aperature driver and man, it works!

There are a pile of Sun people working in this project and they have to
fight internal battles daily.  We don't see all that.  The battles out
here in the open source world are usually very transparent and visible
and sometimes ugly.  The GNOME 2.14 work at Blastwave is six weeks in
and we still don't have it working real well.  Heck, its cludgey.  I was
on the phone yesterday ( day before? I have lost days ) with Sun engineers
in which we talked about the Apache 2.2 builds and OpenSSL issues and how
can we push out optimal packages to the Solaris user world easily.

We are workign together and we are definately enriching the whole user
base in the Solaris world as well as Linux and the Apple users and
whomever else decides to look at the source and adopt it.  I don't know
what else you were wanting.  Now I'm dead blind tired and got to get
a _pile_ of things done today but I wanted some sort of external non-Sun
geek to let you know a different from the basement-pile-of-code perspective.

verbosely too :-)

now I'm going for coffee

Dennis Clarke